Applied Biology HNC
Starting January and September 2018
Course Location: Whittingham Road Campus
Course Duration: Part-time 2 years, 1 day a week
- Part-time total tuition fees - £6,861.96
About this course
This course will equip you with the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to succeed in employment in biology based industries.
It should also enable progression to an undergraduate degree or further professional qualifications in Applied Biology or related areas.
The course can be studied as a stand-alone qualification, or as part of an Advanced Apprenticeship in Laboratory Science.
What will I learn?
- Cell Biology
- Biochemistry of Macromolecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals
- Laboratory Techniques for Applied Biology
- Analysis of Scientific Data and Information
- Plus 3 specialist optional units
How will I be assessed?
Through a range of practical and theoretical assessments.
What do I need?
48 UCAS Points
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Applied Sciences or a similar discipline; or
- 2 or more A Levels which must include Biology; or
- Access to Higher Education Certificate preferably science based
This profile should be supported by GCSE grades A* to C (or 4) in Maths and English Language.
Mature learners may present a more varied profile of achievement that is likely to include extensive work experience and/or achievement of a range of professional qualifications in their work sector.
Good Maths skills are essential. It would be an advantage to have GCSE Higher Mathematics and highly advantageous to have AS Mathematics.
Where can it take me?
Those wishing to continue their studies can use this qualification to progress to an HND in Applied Biology and then to a full honours top up degree, in a Biology related subject, at many universities.
This specialist study is relevant if you are aiming for progression in your existing career or seeking employment in the biological sciences and their related industries.